“It is very difficult for people here to find information/access opportunities because of so many different reasons- conflict, technology, electricity, connections, etc. I am very thankful for this network because I’ve learned so unbelievably much since I joined recently. I learn something new everyday. Its amazing really to be able to connect, communicate and give advice/support to one another despite our distances.”
Member of the AuthorAID community
- On Thursday we welcomed INASP’s Board of Trustees for their first board meeting in our new office and lunch with INASP staff. We said goodbye and thank you to John Wood, who comes to the end of his time as chair of the board, and welcomed Jo Beall, who has now stepped into his shoes. See photos on our Facebook page.
- This week, Ron from ZeipNET, one of the members of the VakaYiko Consortium, is visiting from Zimbabwe. See photos on our Facebook page.
- Anne Powell gave an overview of INASP at the UKSG Forum on Thursday. See here for more information.
- Upcoming events
- Veronika Schaeffler is in Kenya between 14-21 November for an African Regional Licensing and Negotiations workshop. The workshop, facilitated by Ann Okerson and Helena Asamoah-Hassan, includes delegates from Ghana, Uganda, Zimbabwe & Kenya.
- INASP is a gold sponsor for UbuntuNet-Connect 2015, the 8th Annual Conference of the UbuntuNet Alliance for Research and Education Networking taking place in Maputo Mozambique between 19-20 November. As part of its sponsorship, INASP will be supporting six engineers – two from each of RENU (Uganda), TERNET (Tanzania) and ZAMREN (Zambia) to attend the conference. Peter Burnett, Programme Manager for Library Curricula and Network Management, is attending the event and will be meeting with the CEOs of the three supported NRENs.
- Sioux Cumming will be travelling to El Salvador to conduct the first JOL workshop in the country. The workshop will be held from 30 November to 2 December 2015. Currently, there are 4 journals from El Salvador on LAMJOL, but with a total of 25 participants at the workshop, this is sure to increase. The editors will be trained to load their own content. There will also be discussions on improving the quality of their journals.
- AuthorAID staff, associates and embedding partners from around the world is meeting in Colombo, Sri Lanka next week for the AuthorAID annual meeting.
- Recent publications
- Call for data-led science stories by INASP-supported researchers for publication on SciDev.Net – INASP News, 20 November 2015
Leading science and development news organization SciDev.Net is working with INASP to invite researchers to submit ideas for publication on our global website.
- INASP brings Kudos to Journals Online to extend visibility of research publications from developing countries – INASP News, 20 November 2015
INASP brings the latest technology and trends in research communication to its Journals Online (JOLs) project through its new venture with Kudos, a web-based service that helps researchers and associated institutions maximize the visibility and impact of their published articles.
- Firm foundations: access to high-quality materials-science information underpins Ethiopia’s construction work – Practising Development, 19 November 2015
This week, INASP’s Anne Powell spoke at the UKSG Forum in London. In her presentation, she reflected on the role that INASP plays in supporting the research priorities of countries like Ethiopia.
- Knowledge cafe in Zimbabwe discusses evidence-informed policy making with stakeholders – Practising Development, 18 November 2015
Guest post by Ronald Munatsi from ZeipNET, Zimbabwe
- Tip of the Week #260 – AuthorAID, 18 November 2015
- The Parliament of Uganda joins the VakaYiko consortium – INASP News, 18 November 2015
The Parliament of Uganda will benefit from lessons already learnt in the VakaYiko project.
- INASP supports conference strengthening African research and education networks – INASP News, 17 November 2015
INASP supports conference strengthening African research and education networks.
- AuthorAID facilitates research-writing course at African chemistry congress – INASP News, 17 November 2015
A group of 20 chemistry researchers from Kenya, Nigeria, Cameroon, and South Africa will attend a two-day research-writing workshop facilitated by AuthorAID during the 9th Pan Africa Chemistry Network (PACN) Congress.
- AuthorAID facilitates research-writing course at African chemistry congress – AuthorAID, 17 November 2015
A group of 20 chemistry researchers from Kenya, Nigeria, Cameroon, and South Africa will attend a two-day research-writing workshop facilitated AuthorAID during the 9th Pan Africa Chemistry Network (PACN) Congress.
- Guest Post: Two Free Reference Management Tools – AuthorAID, 17 November 2015
About Zotero and Mendeley
- External coverage
- Focus on publishing in Latin America – Research Information, Dec15/Jan16 issue
Includes article by INASP’s Vanessa Fairhurst and Sian Harris
- Successes, challenges and opportunities for evidence informed policy-making in Zimbabwe – Research to Action, 16 November, 2015
Article by Ronald Munatsi, director of the Zimbabwe Evidence Informed Policy Network (ZeipNET), which is a member of the VakaYiko Consortium